I have been told that I suffer from IBS and that being nervous can make it worse but its the fact that it sometimes just seems to come from nowhere that gets me down. I do get nervous going into new situations with people I don't know and circumstances I'm unsure of, but lately I've found I'm getting myself in a state going into situations that aren't out of the ordinary with people I do know. Someone at work may suggest we go to the Chinese buffet for lunch and I start getting wound up, what if I start feeling rough? Going out for dinner after work with friends etc etc. It's starting to limit what I do and where I go as I don't like being anywhere that I can't get myself away from if I start feeling rough. I rarely go to my brothers as he lives in the middle of nowhere! There was a suggestion that we went further afield for dinner tonight and there I am saying no as I didn't want to risk being 'stranded' even though it would have meant not seeing a friend who has come back into my life after 16 yrs who lives abroad and it was her last night!
I'm getting crosser and crosser with myself as I write this. Why can't I just go out and have a good night without always having to locate the loo just in case. I am my father. He has ulcerative colitis and we always used to joke that where as a lot of blokes navigate by pubs he does so by public loos. It's so annoying. I keep telling myself it's all in my head and that I should just stop being such a complete wimp and get on with it. There are people so much worse off but right now I feel like it's starting to take over my life and it sucks!!!!!
I've just read this back and I really do sound like some pathetic winging wimp but it's how I feel right now so there you are!
My Dad has ulcerative colitis too. What a coincidence. Maybe you have a milder version of it? Anxiety problems are hard to deal with and the anxiety of being anxious can make it a viscious circle. I'm like that with my claustophobia. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy could do you the world of wonders to help in that area and would probably only take a few sessions.
ReplyDeleteWas nice to see you last night :)
Aww you poor thing. Don't worry about it - it was lovely to see you and I hope to catch up with you again soon. Don't let this rule your life though. It's similar for me with my Meniere's but you have to force yourself to override it and get on with things. We all have bad days though - just need to make sure we make the most of the not so bad ones. Look after yourself.
ReplyDelete