Friday, 20 March 2009

Customer Service

Recently I have had cause to contact a couple of foreign companies about purchases.

The first was based in America. I had a couple of questions about their product and the shipping of it. I sent an email via their 'contact us' form and sat back expecting to have to wait a few days. I had my first reply within a couple of hours from the President/CEO of the company!!! He didn't know the answer to my next question so my next reply came from the Executive Director!!! Now hows that for going straight to the top. They were both really helpful and as a result I placed my order with them.

The second one was Cirque du Soleil. Mum and I went to see Quidam in London mid Jan and both treated ourselves to a funky new Cirque wallet. Now when I say treat ourselves - that was because they were £19 each!!! Well we've both been using them everyday and they are great, however after only 7 weeks the material they are made of (a kind of pretend leather) has started to crack around the fastening. Not very good thinks me and my Mum. So on March 7th I contacted them via the 'contact us', explained what had happened and waited to hear back. I was just thinking that I still hadn't heard anything from them and that another email was in order, this time to complain about their lack of response as well as the wallet. When I got home tonight there was an email from the Public Services Director. Firstly he apologised for the length of time it had taken to respond explaining that they had just gone through the process of a take down from one venue and the set up at another (and I know how long that can take for a show like Quidam). He then apologised that the wallet wasn't up to their normal standard and that they would be happy to send us replacements if I could send a postal address. I didn't need to return the other one or anything. The Quidam tour no longer have any but he is hoping to arrange for one of the other tours to send them out. He apologised again and signed off.

Now that is what I call customer service. Yet I cannot remember having been treated that way by an English company in a very very long time (if ever!). Why is that? You are more likely to get a stroppy teenager in a shop who can't be bothered, or maybe a great member of staff but company rules and guidelines that they can't bend. It was nice to find people and companies that actually seemed to care what sort of impression they left - and I can safely say it was a very good impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment