Sunday, 22 March 2009

S.A.D.?

I've never thought of myself as suffering from SAD, or giving much thought to the winter weather or summer sunshine - until now. Until now I'm not even sure if I really believed in SAD as a condition.

I've never been a very active person (naughty I know) but this winter really has seemed to drag. It's been so cold and wet and basically pretty miserable. Combine that with the fact that I leave home at 7.30am and don't get back 'til just before 7pm meaning I can't remember the last time I got home in daylight on a normal working day and its starts getting pretty depressing. I've been really sluggish, can't be bothered, what's the point, no motivation; but then, last weekend the sun came out!!

On the Saturday Mum and I did our usual bit of shopping and lunch out. I went out without my woolly hat on for the first time in ages. It was still chilly but it was bright!

On a Sunday I normally surface late, mooch around, maybe get dressed, maybe not bother, think about the cleaning, washing and ironing I ought to be doing but putting off. Last Sunday I was full of beans. The washing got done, the hoovering etc. Then what could I do, I couldn't sit in the flat and miss out on the sunshine, so I went out for a walk, along the towpath, over to a couple of shops the other side of the river, bought an ice cream, up to Mums for a drink and a chat, and back home again. It felt great!

Then at work this week we have been quite busy. I find the less I have to do the less I want to do so when it's busy and there is lots going on it's a bit of a buzz and the day goes so much faster. I found myself sitting on the train thinking - 'Yes, I've achieved something today.'

And then this weekend it's been sunny too. I've started sprouting (thanks to Venus) and I'm really enthusiastic about it and can't wait to be supplementing my diet with something that is good for me and that I've grown myself.

I'm now just hoping that the sun and the enthusiasm last and with the clocks going forward next weekend I should start getting home in daylight!!! Roll on summer!

2 comments:

  1. I had SADS once and it made me crave chocolate (which I dont even like)
    You will be eating liquid sunshine in the form of those sprouts too, if you let them grow to the leafy stage.
    Its definitely important to our mental and physical health to get out and walk in the daylight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Sun makes me H A P P Y !

    ReplyDelete